Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Moms Demand Action

Did you know that firearms are the number one cause of death of children and teens in the United States?  I spent the morning attending the Moms Demand Action Advocacy Day at the state capitol. My work gives me 8 hours of PTO each year to use for volunteering and I was able to get approval to use it today. We met at a church across the street from the capitol building and I helped set up breakfast, then we heard speakers and prepared post cards to deliver to our representatives.  The primary goal today was to move HB 161 and HB 1111 forward- both bills are about keeping guns in secure locations away from children. At the capitol, I saw one of my representatives and went to speak with him. He spent 10 minutes talking to some fraternity boys about fishing and then gave me less than 30 seconds to talk about ways to prevent accidental gun deaths before he said he had to go. It was incredibly frustrating (as is the fact that the majority of voters want some common sense gun safety laws but our elected officials are beholden to the NRA donors) but I learned a lot and am glad I went. 

No comments: