My principal says to use the words "I want" (instead of "I need") when telling my assistant what to do because it makes it more clear that I am the boss, but that's exactly what makes it so difficult.
I always found that the "could you help me do [whatever]" works well, too, because then she feels like you two are "in it" together. and then, once you're satisfied that she's doing it he way you want, you find an excuse to leave her to finish it on her own. i don't know that that applies to everything you'd ask her to do but maybe it'll be helpful at some point...
Unfortunately, I've tried all those "we need to do this" or "can you help me" and it doesn't work which is a bummer because it's nicer sounding. I need to establish myself as the "authority" (according to my principal)- not something I'm enjoying at all.
2 comments:
I always found that the "could you help me do [whatever]" works well, too, because then she feels like you two are "in it" together. and then, once you're satisfied that she's doing it he way you want, you find an excuse to leave her to finish it on her own. i don't know that that applies to everything you'd ask her to do but maybe it'll be helpful at some point...
Unfortunately, I've tried all those "we need to do this" or "can you help me" and it doesn't work which is a bummer because it's nicer sounding. I need to establish myself as the "authority" (according to my principal)- not something I'm enjoying at all.
Post a Comment