Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Article

You may have heard me complain about one of our local "newspapers."  The grammar mistakes alone are enough to make anyone with a high school education cringe, but it's really the content that is appalling.  In case you didn't believe me, I've decided to type up one a recent article EXACTLY as it was printed.  It's long, but I promise it's totally worth the read.  I'd love for you to comment on your favorite grammar mistake as well as which part of the article you found the most objectionable.  Without further ado I present...

"Does God Want Christians To Be Involved in Politics?"

 

Does God want Christians to be involved in politics?  That question popped into my head as these past several months of political battlefields came and went.  For those who kept up with the 'many 'ugly battles, it looked like 'we' had all turned into savages.  We here at __ County News saw friends turn to enemies, neighbors drawing lines in the grass, and changing the 'Love thou neighbor' to 'Hate thou neighbor' because they are voting different.  We witnessed Christians being their own worst enemies with political battles going on amongst themselves.  What has happened in today's world with the salt of the earth and the light of Christianity?  Politics appear to be the answer to that question, which comes back around to my original question.

 

Now, first, let's get a clear definition of what politics means.  Politics are the activities associated with governing or running an organization connected with the Government.  I 'me' have never run for public office, but I have made applications with the __ County Board of Commission to be considered to sit on several boards.  I was never chosen because 'most likely'…. "I am too strong willed and not a Yes person." (Opps should not have put that, getting on a soap box, again.)  Those powers-that-be would definitely send out 'hate'mail on me because I do not mind.  I believe that you should stand up for what you believe in and I am a Christians which brings us back to that first question.

 

Should Christians spend their life in so-called full-time Christian service and reject what they see as wrongs in the world?  If Christians abandon politics and legal issues and wrongs, just to name a few, then it is quite possible that the freedoms of this world which are preached from the pulpit might someday be taken away by the government (politicians).  If those who love the Lord just sit back and allow 'politics' to prevail, the very freedoms that we all live for could be taken away.

 

Now, on the other side of that coin, the 'secular' realms of this world does impact everyone's life on a daily basis.  Pastors preach in pulpits across the nation that their agenda is to get people saves, which in this writer's opinion might help stop some of the meanness going on in this world today.  However, you have to get people to hear the Gospel and apply the Gospel to stop the bad in the world.  Like the Good Samaritan who helped the man on the road to Samarra who was hurt badly by robbers, he demonstrated compassion to a tribe of people, who was his tribe's enemies. 

 

I guess what I am trying to say in this article is that as 'Christians', we can be involved in politics without being evil.  A "good Samaritan" attitude is for Christians to get involved in politics in order to halt the oppression of the bad politicians. 

 

The Chick-fil-a controversy is a perfect example of how a non-Christian groups want religion taken out of everything.  If this ever happens, then "we" Christians and our nation will all die at the bloody hands of political dictators until the 'rapture' comes to save us all from the coming tribulation. 

 

Even like Peter of Haarlem, the lockkeeper's son, who used his finger inside a dike to stop a leak saw the need to save a town from the threat of flood waters.  Peter would have gone about preaching the Gospel, but chose to save the town from t possible impending disaster at the moment.

 

"I fear in the next few months, that we "the people" are about to be overwhelmed by a flood of government oppression, not particularly on the local level, but on the national level."  "I also fear that we Christian faith people are under attack.  And if we set in silence, we will be forced into silence at the hands of the Federal laws and politicians, who are currently elected or soon to be elected."

 

 And that is, my friends, the reason that we at __ County News work so many hours of day trying to keep the public aware of what is going on at the local level!  "You might not like what we report, but remember we sit on no boards and we hold no alliance to any group.  We have no particular agenda no are we running for any office."  Our goal is to provide the citizens of this county with local news so that they can stay informed as to what is going on in this county.

4 comments:

Gail said...

My red pen is about to run out of ink. I don't even know where to begin!

Laura said...

It's just so poorly written! It makes my head hurt.

JM said...

woah. I don't know what's worse.... his inappropriate use of quotation marks, his issues with first and third person, his numerous errors with plural rules or his blatant ignorance. This part made me laugh the most.

'I 'me' have never run for public office, but I have made applications with the __ County Board of Commission to be considered to sit on several boards. I was never chosen because 'most likely'…. "I am too strong willed and not a Yes person." '

.... I'm sure there was probably a stronger reason why he wasn't chosen....

Katie B said...

Don't you just love how she "quotes" herself?!