Thursday, June 11, 2020

The Little Way

A friend and neighbor once referred to my faith/work/life philosophy as similar to St Therese's Little Way (doing the smallest actions with great love).  I couldn't agree with him more.  I am not a big picture person.  I relish the small things, the details, and put my whole heart into them. 
Recently, the Little Way has felt like it isn't enough.  I want change- BIG institutional, systemic change- and I want it NOW.  My little things (attending protests, making a banner, educating myself and sharing that knowledge with others, donating money, changing my spending habits to support businesses that align with my priorities, writing to my elected officials over and over) just don't seem like enough.  It feels like it's not moving the needle at all, which fills me with frustration, anger, hopelessness, fear, and a general feeling of powerlessness (I know many people in the world feel this way ALL THE TIME, so yes, I'm aware of my privilege). 
I still feel that way, but a few articles, a few changes in people or in systems (I'm looking at you NASCAR), and the Equity and Oppression seminar I've been taking this week reminded me that the Little Way works.  It's slow and exhausting and frustrating, but it is THE work and I'm not doing it alone.

No comments: