Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Curriculum Night

This afternoon/evening, we head our school's curriculum night. The related arts teachers (that includes me) spoke to the parents first. Everything felt really good until the Q&A when one of the only 4 questions was for me and was especially "how are you keeping the younger students from accessing inappropriate books in the library?" Yikes. I answered calmly that I don't tell students what they can and can't check out, though I may encourage them to look at certain things I think are age/reading level appropriate and that parents can feel free to contact me if they have books they would prefer their children not check out. Overall, it was a fine answer, but of course, as soon as the event was over, I thought of 10 better ways to say what I meant.  That inappropriate means different things to everyone and I would never presume to parent their child and that I don't think there's anything in our library is inappropriate anyway or why would I even have it?  Ugh. Thankfully, I texted my Related Arts team about my overthinking and they were fantastic and reassuring so hopefully I can stop my brain and sleep tonight. 

No comments: