In an unfortunate turn of events, the AirBnB that the college friends booked for June in Camden, Maine was suddenly cancelled on us. We've had this house booked for 9 months and just... poof. Here's your refund. We spent a couple of days looking at other options, but every house big enough for 9 people for those specific days was booked or out of our price range.
We voted and it was decided that we'll go closer to home (Highlands, NC), which while lovely looking, is a little bit of a let-down. I've never been to Maine and was looking forward to it, while I've been all over North Carolina.
The big challenge for today was getting refunds for my plane tickets. Unfortunately for me, I was the only one who had already booked my flight. Spirit, surprisingly, was the easy flight to cancel. They gave me credit towards future flights, which I know I can use in the fall. Cape Air on the other hand has a strict "no refund" policy all over their website, which sucks because I need a FULL refund. They only fly to a dozen places in New England, so a credit would not work. I found a refund request email address and, with a bit of lying about why I needed to cancel (death of the friend I was going to travel with), was able to get a full refund due to extenuating circumstances. It's still over 2 months before the date of the flight and I feel certain they will be able to sell that seat again.
Do I feel bad about lying? A little. Would I feel worse if I'd lost $300. Definitely. Now I can focus on looking forward to some time with my friends, even if the location is a little disappointing.

No comments:
Post a Comment