I didn't write about this on the day it happened, but I'd like to put my thoughts down.
Last week Wednesday, we got an email alert at work that there was an active shooter about 5 blocks from our building. Shortly after, an intercom announcement came on all over the building letting us know they were locking the front door (I didn't even know our building had an intercom). Texts from friends and family members were coming in often, as did texts and phone calls from Korra's school since it is within a mile of the incident. I kept refreshing my computer on news websites. I locked the office door. The shooter hadn't been captured. I felt safe, I felt like Korra was safe, but it was surreal.
At about 3:15 the police said the shooter had left the area and the lockdown was lifted. I went to walk home and about 40 police cars and motorcycles and an armored Humvee came racing down Peachtree Street when I was about a block away from work. In that moment, I was completely terrified. I didn't know what was happening. I was outside, exposed. All the police stopped a few blocks ahead at the hospital and then directed traffic away. Still not sure what was going on even now.
Obviously, I made it home safely. But I just feel so sad and frustrated and hopeless. So many people in this country want some sort of gun control, but the power and money of the NRA keep us all living and dying in fear. I just don't see any way that it's going to change.

No comments:
Post a Comment