Saturday, September 23, 2017

Zombie Attack: a math review game

We played my legendary review game yesterday. The kids love it and since I made it up myself (with adjustment over time), I'm pretty proud of it. So I thought I'd write out the rules here: 
Students are divided into teams.  Each team draws an apocalypse survival bunker on the board.  I add 10 Xs under each team's bunker.  Everyone on every team has to work the math problem I present, then they discuss, agree on an answer, and write it on a little white board to hold up when time is up.  Any team that gets the right answer gets the option to either add an X to their bunker (defend), though you can't have more than 10 Xs or take 2 Xs away from another team's bunker (attack).  Once a team is out of Xs, they become zombies.  They can't defend their bunker, but they can attack other bunkers, but with only half the strength (meaning they can only take away 1 X).  If 2 teams are tied for the lead at the end of the game, they both lose (this is because sometimes the kids make alliances and I need them to turn on each other in the end).  Also, as the game czar, I reserve all rights to take away Xs from teams where not all team members are working the problems or for any unsportsmanlike conduct.  I love how this game can get 100% participation in math practice for an entire hour and all it takes for me is math problems and answers and some dry erase boards.  

No comments: