Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I can't help but share

I just got off the phone with a parent.  They asked for a print out of all the books that their child has checked out this year.  I proceeded to expain that library privacy- a part of your first and fourth amendment rights- does not have age restrictions so I am not legally allowed to give these parents that information without the consent of their child.  The parents (on speaker phone) both started ranting about the "bleeding heart liberal, Obama-loving crap" that is their child's constitutional rights.  Now, I understand both sides of the issue, (no matter how liberal you might think I am, Laura) but I could hardly contain my giggles until after I got off the phone.  I love educating people about their rights.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Congratulations on infringing upon the parents' rights. In fact, the children do have a right, based on their 1st and 4th amendment rights, to not have such a list made public.

HOWEVER, there is something known as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act that allow any parent, until a child is of the age of 18, to review any educational records of their child. This includes Media centers and the lists they were asking for on the phone. This is certified by the U.S. Department of Education.

Now, you do not have to give them a print out, but they have every right to review any of the information that you have on their children assuming they come onto the school's campus...

Also, technically you have to inform them they have to come onto campus. Also, you have to give parents annual FERPA reports. :)

Pretty crappy they ranted about "bleeding heart liberal, Obama-loving crap."

Let's hope that, based on these comments, those parents wouldn't be competent enough to do a web search for the FERPAct. :)


http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html

Also mentioned in the American Library Associations: "Privacy Tool Kit"

Chris said...

PS...

Don't worry, I wont tell anyone. :P