Last night Korra went to her high school open house (specifically for 9th graders). Before the parent meeting, they had an hour long block party for her grade. There were snow cones and cotton candy and games and they tie-dyed Class of 2030 t-shirts.
I have already been so impressed by the opportunities Korra will have at this high school- they have fantastic courses and extracurricular activities, and consistent, intentional planning and leadership. I think she's going to grow and learn and have so much fun.
And while holding all that gratitude in my mind and heart, I'm also aware of the insane inequity that exists between this (and really all) public schools. This is a Wealthy with a capital W school. The majority of the kids come from families with plenty of money, lots of education, and high-paying, high-status jobs. In the same school district- just a few miles down the road- there are other public high schools that have very little of the resources, courses, and activities this school offers (most of which is sponsored by the PTA). I'm holding it all, but unsure what to do about it. I worked in low-income schools for years, and rarely felt like I was making any difference.
After the Open House, Korra and some friends walked across the street from the school to have dinner out together. It hit me all at once that she's a HIGH SCHOOLER. A real teenager. Wow.

No comments:
Post a Comment