My grandma passed away this morning. It was expected, but it still hurts. Two years ago, when she and my grandpa were hospitalized with COVID, I was sure we were going to lose them both. That's when I started to call them once a week. And even after they were out of the hospital, we kept talking weekly. I am so thankful to have 2 years of phone calls. I am so glad I went up for a visit in November.
After Grandpa called to tell me, my brain wanted to go into planning mode. It's easier to plan how to get to the funeral than to feel all my feelings. But now I'm going to slow down for a minute and feel and remember.
Grandma was always cold, which makes sense when you live pretty much your whole life in Wisconsin. Grandma gave me Paddle Pops for dessert and let me watch Cinderella on my favorite bear blanket. Grandma almost always had toast and coffee for breakfast. When I was 10 or 11, Grandma sewed me a dress that I wore until it was way too small for me. Grandma took me on my first plane ride and my first trip to Disney World. Grandma enjoyed traveling and I hope to go to many of the places she went. Grandma taught me to blow bubbles with my hands in the bath and bought me paper dolls and baked cookies with me. In the last two years, Grandma asked me about my day and my new job and about Korra and Nate every week until she couldn't anymore. Grandma always told me not to get old because it was terrible.

No comments:
Post a Comment